The 7 Pitfalls In Oral Hygiene

There are several ways and techniques to keep your teeth and mouth as healthy as possible. Our oral hygiene specialist is happy to share her knowledge with you. Read her tips and avoid any mouth problems.

oral hygiene mistakes

Not brushing often enough!

While it is obvious, it is undoubtedly the most common of these pitfalls. It is important to brush your teeth at least twice a day as it stops the bacterial build-up of plaque. This way you prevent this plaque from having harmful effects in the form of cavities and gum infections. Slice that has been there longer being more harmful than young plaque. Studies have shown that even skipping a single brushing session can initiate the cavity formation process. And plaque build-up along the gum line is one of the leading causes of gum disease. So brush more often!

Incorrect brushing technique

Using the correct brushing technique is at least as important as brushing itself. You can brush three times a day, but if you do not remove all the plaque, it will continue to have consequences for your teeth. One of the most common mistakes is systematically skipping areas of the mouth. When brushing your teeth, you must make sure that every element is cleaned and that the entire tooth surface is touched with the toothbrush. In Dutch society, where everyone is in a hurry, this is often forgotten. There then arises dental plaque and tartar which can ultimately lead to the formation of dental caries, or inflammation of the gums. Brushing hard will not remove more plaque, so brush gently but thoroughly.

Failure to use the correct toothbrush

Toothbrushes come in different shapes and sizes. On the shelves, you will see hard to ultra-soft brushes with short and long bristles, bristles of nylon or rubber and in all kinds of trendy colours. I recommend the use of an extra-soft toothbrush. This is important because a soft brush will prevent gum recession from occurring. Gum recession exposes the root and can cause sensitivity to heat and cold. In addition, the material that makes up your root is softer and also more sensitive to the effect of brushing too hard. It will wear out this way and thus increase mouth problems.

Not changing the toothbrush often enough

We’ve all done it at one time or another, use a toothbrush that should have already disappeared in the trash. On average, it is recommended to replace the brush every three months. As soon as the bristles start to separate, and thus lose their effectiveness, it is high time to replace the brush. Make sure there are always brushes or brush heads in stock so that a brush can be replaced in time.

Do not clean between teeth

It doesn’t matter how well or how often you brush, not every spot between the teeth can be reached with a toothbrush. In practice, it appears that 60% of the dental plaque can be brushed away with a toothbrush, but that a stoker, brush or water flosser is required for the remaining 40%. Cleaning interdental with the help of stickers, brushes or other interdental aids will help remove plaque and food debris that has built up between the teeth. Daily interdental cleaning, possibly with supplementation of Bluem® oral gel, prevents and resolves gingivitis (inflamed gums) and periodontal disease.

Too much sugar

Our diet in today’s welfare society is one of the main causes of tooth decay. Often, far too much sugar is consumed unnoticed. Avoid excessive consumption of sugary drinks and reduce the number of times you eat between meals. In addition, it is important to shorten the consumption time and residence time of sugar-rich products in the mouth. Think of sweets, liquorice and chewing gum that can cause more imbalance due to their relatively long presence in the mouth. Not only your mouth but your entire body will thank you.

Do not visit the dentist

Even if you stick to all the previous tips, it is still important to see a dentist regularly. Depending on the condition of your teeth at least once a year. A visit to the dentist can ensure that problems are noticed in time and can therefore also be solved!

Spread the love

Article Author Details

Rosie Harman

Rosie Harman has 10 years of experience in the field of Information Technology. Currently she is working for contour tv and writing Pet Blogs.